If you are that tourist who wishes to be a traveler, then we have an experience for you. Our Cave and Monolithic Experience aims at taking you back in time to experience a glimpse of life in our city around the 1st Century BC and still be well within the boundaries of Modern City Comforts.
The Experience is designed to give you that Indiana Jones Experience through Local Transportation or is adapted to your needed comfort of a private vehicle, whilst still being within the surburb limits of Mumbai.
We will explore the Buddhist era Caves, lost to encroachment and much neglect in today’s times and understand a life that once thrived in this city.
We will also get a chance to take a stoll in the neighbourhood to meet with locals and have discussions on how life has changed over the years with local and foreign conquests, all leaving their mark on the city.
Then we will take a journey to visit Gilbert Hill, the only of three pre-historic volcanic monolithic rocks existing in the world [other two being in the USA] and will climb up the 200 meter formation to get a glimpse of both the Airport as well as the sea in a short distance. We will pay respect to the local Goddess whose temple adorns the top before we head back to the hotel.
The duration of the tour can be considered as Full or Half Day depending on the location of your hotel or the point of meeting and ending the tour.
What is included in the tour
- Bottles of Water
- Local refreshments
- A local Lunch
- Cultural Souvenir
- Local Transportation
- Local Masala Chai
- Fees to the Caretaker
What is NOT included in the tour
- Outsourced vehicle ADVISED FOR LARGE GROUPS above 4people if with children and 2 people if adults ONLY – To book as an add on package, you can send an enquiry
- Personal Shopping
- Personalized pick up and drop to hotels beyond Central Bombay into the suburbs.
- The Monolithic Rock is Not recommended for people with bad knees or vertigo. In this case we will substitute the option with another keeping your interests and practicality in mind.
- Not Handicapped friendly.
- Prior Governmental Permissions are required if you are planning to bring a tripod and is often discouraged. Photos on Cellular Phones and Cameras are best advised.
- Train Ride from Church Gate Station or similar depending on your hotel’s location.
- Buy your train tickets in Hindi!
- Take a train ride to the Joeshwari Station
- Take an auto rickshaw / tuk tuk to the caves
- Explore the caves with the caretaker
- Take a walk through the surrounding slums [optional]
- Take the auto rickshaw to the Mahakali Caves
- Get some amazing photo opportunities
- Head to the railway station for a short walk to the Monolithic Structure
- Have discussions on varied topics including Geography, philosophy, ecology and more
- Head back to the hotel.